New tool launched to improve patient safety and quality
An innovative Workforce Assurance Tool, developed by NHS Midlands and East in close collaboration with five other SHAs and a wide range of clinical and other professionals, has been launched.
The Tool has been demonstrated nationally to key stakeholders including the National Quality Team and Nursing and AHP Professional Advisory Boards and is forming part of the ongoing discussions around the future positioning of Workforce Assurance in the new NHS.
The tool is designed to help organisations to ensure the staffing levels outlined in their workforce plans can deliver cost effective, safe and high quality care. It can be used by the commissioning clusters, providers and the Strategic Health Authorities and will accommodate the changes to the new structures and systems.
The tool looks at the correlations between different areas such as finance, activity and workforce to help the user to identify any potential issues that should be investigated further.
This web based application enables:
· triangulation of organisational performance against selected metrics drawing on 205 metrics from a single repository
· a mechanism for considering potential workforce risks and a single reference point and process for assessing workforce variables
· robust statistical analysis enabling an objective review of each metric and correlation between metrics.
The tool is being implemented across the cluster using pilot sites and bespoke implementation support that aims to:
· operationally assess the technical functionality and review live data, metrics, RAG ratings and metric relationships
· assess the suitability of the Tool to replace current manual workforce assurance processes
· understand benefit realisation of the Tool and evaluate lessons learnt to inform a wider roll out across the region.
To support organisations throughout the pilot and wider roll out phases, training sessions are also being delivered. Following the pilot evaluation, the wider roll out will commence from mid-April across the West Midlands.
Roll out implementation plan - WFA Tool - Implementation Plan.pdf
Roles and responsibilities - WFA Tool - Roles and Responsibilities.pdf
Current status of regional roll out (May 2012) - Letter to CEO May 12.pdf
Independent evaluation (May 2012) - Workforce Assurance Tool Review.pdf
Workforce Assurance Tool Strategic Group terms of reference (national) - WFA Tool Strategic Group Terms of Reference.pdf
Workforce Assurance Regional Reference Group terms of reference (west midlands) - WFA Regional Reference Group ToR Mar12.pdf
Presentation to HR Directors (Jan 2012) - WFA HRD Presentation 30 01 2012.pdf